The newly released HomePod system update has so far been the most significant for the column since its release in February. Version 11.4 contains key new features like support for multi-room sound and stereo pair.
To install the update, open the Home app on your device with iOS 11.2.5 or later, go to the Home tab and click the arrow in the upper left corner of the screen. Then select Software Update in the Columns section and follow the instructions on the screen.
Your HomePod column will automatically install the update when it becomes available. If you update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to iOS 11.4, the update for HomePod should also be installed by yourself.
The update for HomePod has the same version number as iOS 11.4 and tvOS 11.4 released today. In addition, Apple has released a watchOS 4.3.1 update for Apple Watch.
For the first time the HomePod column was presented in June 2017, but it was released only at the beginning of this year after many delays. HomePod costs $ 349 and is one of the most expensive smart speakers on the market. Despite this HomePod managed to take the fourth place in the ranking of the best-selling speakers, although it is currently sold only in the US, Australia and the UK. Since June 18, sales start in Canada, France and Germany.
Moreover, this year Apple can release a budget version of HomePod under the Beats brand.
Postscript to HomePod System Update
In iOS 11.4 added support for multi-room sound AirPlay 2 and stereo pair.
- This update supports the configuration of the HomePod stereo pair using the iPhone or iPad.
- The HomePod stereo automatically determines which part of the room it is located in and adjusts the sound, depending on the location of the speakers in the space.
- Advanced directional sound technology provides a wider soundstage than a traditional stereo pair.
- HomePod will be automatically updated to support stereo pair, unless auto-updates are disabled in the Home program.
- Simultaneous music playback on several supporting AirPlay 2 speakers in the house, in synchronous mode.
- Manage the calendar (only in the US, UK and Australia).