A 6-year-old Brooklyn boy was watching videos on a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Saturday evening when it burst into flames as he was holding it. The young boy’s grandmother, Linda Lewis, told the New York Post
that the resulting fire was enough to set off alarms in her house, and her grandson was taken to Downstate Medical Center to treat burns on his
body but was later released.
Lewis told the Post, “he doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.”
Lewis says the family has been in contact with Samsung but declined further comment.
Late last week the phone maker advised all Note 7 owners to return their handsets under the official recall program, working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
If you are holding on to your Note 7 after Samsung advised you to power it off and return it, this is the risk you’re taking. The folks saying “it probably won’t happen to me” — including popular media personalities, are right. It probably won’t. I’m sure Ms. Lewis
didn’t think it would happen to her grandchild, either.
Return your Note 7 under the recall. Nobody wants to see this type of story.
We wish the young man and his family the best and hope for a speedy recovery and resolution.