IOS version 12.1 contains four major new features: FaceTime conferences, new emoji, real-time Depth effect control, and eSIM technology support.
iOS 12.1 can be downloaded “over the air” using the software update mechanism in Settings> General> Software Update.
According to the postscript for the iOS 12.1 update, the new version contains:
- Support for FaceTime conferences, in which up to 32 people can participate at the same time, with encrypted calls. Group FaceTime is available in the Messages application, you can start a call directly from the current chat. If users start a call, it will appear in the chat list and within the chat itself.
- More than 70 new emoji are available on the iPhone and iPad in iOS 12.1, including characters with red, gray and curly hair, as well as emoji of a bald character and emoji with new emotions, sports and food.
- With the update of iOS 12.1, the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR received support for two SIM cards, including nano-SIM and digital eSIM. Users can activate an additional data plan without using a physical nano-SIM card.
- Improved depth of field settings in the “Portrait” mode in iOS 12.1 allows you to create even more subtle portraits with the bokeh effect. With the updated iOS 12.1, users will be able to adjust the depth of the image not only after shooting but also in real time, which will allow you to create even more amazing portraits with a blurred background.
- Cellular connectivity on the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR are better.
- The ability to change and reset the password of Screen Time on your child’s smartphone using Face ID or Touch ID.
- Fixed problem with choosing the main frame for the selfie on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.
- Fixed a problem with voice mail in the Phone application.
- Fixed a problem of the Phone application, due to which numbers could be displayed without a contact name.
- Screen time now takes into account all websites.
- Fixed problem with adding members of family access.
- Added power management feature for iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
- VoiceOver improvements in Camera, for Siri and Safari.
The new version is supported by the following devices:
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2 Generation
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1 generation
- 10.5 inch iPad Pro
- 9.7 inch iPad Pro
- iPad 6th generation
- iPad 5 generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
The watchOS 5.1 and tvOS 12.1 updates contain only bug fixes.
The build numbers of the new versions are as follows:
- iOS 12.1: 16B92 | 16B93
- watchOS 5.1: 16R591
- tvOS 12.1: 16J602