Information is a value, and it is very, very unpleasant to lose such a value. And in some cases, the information is so valuable that its value can reach tens, hundreds and even millions of dollars. Hard drives, flash cards and memory cards that store our data, can achieve a very high degree of reliability of storage, but they also fail. In addition to device failures, human distraction also leads to information loss – any user can easily delete important documents “by inertia” and only then realize that he has done something wrong. In any of the options there is a chance to restore the information. In the event that this is not a hardware failure, you can try to restore yourself using specialized utilities.
The headache of PC users is the loss of files: photos, documents and other data. We will not touch on the theory: this practical guide explains the basic principles of file recovery. We hope you can apply them in practice.
Consider three main scenarios, how to recover deleted files on your computer:
- after cleaning the Recycle Bin,
- irretrievably erased from the hard drive,
- after formatting.
Programs used in recovery:
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Can I always recover deleted files on my computer?
Not always, but in many cases, it is entirely possible. We will explain.
After the deletion, the files remain on the hard disk. In the file table, they are given a label of “0”. This means that this space is not occupied and can be used to record other information.
Thus, the file is hidden from your eyes, it is only removed conditionally and can be restored until other data overwrite it. (By the way, you can recover files after overwriting, but there is a risk that they are partially damaged and can not be returned).
How to evaluate the chances of recovery after removal?
The probability of recovering files depends on many factors. The checklist looks like this:
- How the removal was done – through the Recycle Bin, bypassing it ( Shift + Del), through the format command
- The time elapsed since the deletion time – the further, the higher the risk of overwriting the files
- Type of deleted files – some files (images, video) can be partially recovered; others cannot be recovered if one data byte is lost
- The type of storage device – hard disk, RAID and so on.
- The file system type is NTFS / FAT / exFAT and others.
If luckily, the files can be restored completely or partially. You can not determine the probability in numbers, but it’s worth a try.
How to restore files from Recycle Bin
Usually, after deletion (via the Del key) the data are sent to the Recycle Bin. The Recycle Bin is a temporary storage, the data is there for 30 days, after which it is automatically deleted. If during this time you change the solution (for example, remember that among the deleted there are the files you need), check the contents of the Recycle Bin and restore the files. How to do it:
- Open the Recycle Bin through the icon on the Desktop or through the Explorer
- Select the files to restore and use the item Restore in the context menu
- Files will be restored to their original location
How to restore files if the Trash is already cleaned
Even when you clear the Recycle Bin, your files are not permanently destroyed. However, you will need additional utilities and time to recover deleted files successfully. The recovery programs work on the same principle: they scan the file system, look for a sector on the computer with the mark “file deleted.”
Restore files after formatting
We pass to more “heavy” cases. In particular, after formatting not only individual files but also the entire hard disk partition undergoes changes. As a result – permanently deleted files.
Is there a chance to recover data on a PC in this situation?
- After a quick formatting – yes
- After full format, the chances are minimal
What programs will help you to restore files on your hard drive?
They are dozens of recovery software. We will use the top recovery program that has been tested and respected by other users.
1. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard: advanced file recovery after deletion (in complicated cases)
- Convenience. Data Recovery Wizard is perfectly integrated with the file system and Windows. Thanks to the built-in recovery wizard, it is convenient to work with it.
- Protected Trash. Unlike the standard Recycle Bin, it can store deleted files even after cleaning.
- Solution to complex cases. Recover files deleted without Recycle Bin (after Shift+Delete), after formatting or on HDD partitions with “raw file system”.
Next, is a guide on how to use this memory card recovery free software to quickly get your lost data back in memory cards following some few steps. This guide can also be used to recover the external hard drive deleted files, USB flash drive, and some other storage devices.
How to Use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Step 1. Connect your memory card, USB Flash Drive to your computer, Launch the free EaseUS memory card recovery software and select the card you have your deleted files on and click on the “Scan” button.
Step 2. The software will start a fast scan first to search all the media, document, etc. on the card/drive. After the scan is completed, a deep scan will automatically launch itself to find more files.
Step 3. After the deep scan, this software allows you to preview some types of files like document, pictures, etc. and select out those you need. Then, click the “Recover” button to get them back from the memory card.
Vola you have recovered back your deleted file from your memory card or USB drive.